My life as an aspiring teacher currently in school in love with a baseball player who will start his career in February and be away for 7+ months.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Busy Busy Busy.

First Week:
It's the first week back to school and work. Therefore I am busy. I'm taking a literacy class, an assessment class, a special education assessment class, an intro to education class, and I have my internship. That adds up to 21 credits. My internship is only 1 credit, but it is a whole lot of work. I am also working. It's crazy, but all worth it, and I love it.


I met with my mentor teacher today. That meant getting up earlier than usual and dressing my best. I don't usually dress up for work (I work with a kindergartener in a life skills class). So what do I wear that is professional and comfortable?



{Croft and Barrow Heels}





Why am I doing all of this?


Here is my inspiration for becoming a teacher:


My dad has definitely been my biggest inspiration for becoming a teacher. Teaching has always been the answer to, "What do you want to be when you grow up"? It started with some amazing teachers in elementary school, but that never compared to how much I have always looked up to my dad.When I was in third grade my dad started his student teaching and he loved it. Therefore from third grade on I knew I was going to college and some day I would be student teaching. 

When my dad became a teacher he would come home with so many stories. Some would be funny, some would be sad, but most of them would be inspirational.  After a few years of those stories I decided I didn't just want to be a teacher, but I wanted to be a teacher that would make a difference. Through middle school I spent a lot of time in my dads class - helping set up, prepare for his lessons, and other little things. I would even go into work with him on the weekends, and I loved it. Through high school I helped him with programs such as gear up, he set me up with teachers that I could help with in their classroom, and I helped set up for teacher trainings he had.  He's also been on the autism cadre, which led me to special education. 

Without my dad around I am sure I would have wanted to be a teacher, but I don't think it would have been something I put much thought into. Because of my dad I want to not only teach, but make a difference. I want to be a great teacher. Also, because of my dad I am interested in special education and I have learned so much about special education through him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment